The Benefits of Using Medical Marijuana to Treat Cancer
Marijuana often gets a bad rap because of how it is abused for recreational purposes and all of the social effects that it comes with. Well, not anymore as for years now, its use in the medical world is very well on the rise and only rightfully so. Marijuana is in every way a natural herb and the truth is that when it comes to treating symptoms, natural is always better.
Although, the United States Drug Enforcement Administration still lists Marijuana as a substance that should not be prescribed or sold, the good news is that in some states like Florida, the use of Marijuana in the treatment of certain conditions has been made legal.
One of such medical conditions is cancer. Associated with a lot of pain in those with it, cancer patients sure need the use of medical marijuana to help alleviate side effects and symptoms that come with treatment options like chemotherapy. There are other benefits that can be derived from using medical marijuana in the treatment of cancer. Read on to know them.
Medical Marijuana and its Benefits in the Treatment of Cancer
Marijuana contains compounds referred to as cannabinoids with the two most active ones being CBD for cannabidiol and THC for Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. While it is known that each cannabinoid has its own specific benefits, both help in the treatment of cancer. Let’s get right into all of these benefits.
- Pain Alleviation: Marijuana is well credited for its pain alleviation properties. Nerve pain (neuropathy) in particular is of significance here as it is a side effect of chemotherapy and other forms of cancer treatment which then causes damage to nerves making them numb and generally weak. There are cannabinoid receptors all through the body and when marijuana binds to these receptors, it brings relief to pain as well as easing inflammation with its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Antiemetic effects: Marijuana works to combat both nausea and vomiting that are common side effects of chemotherapy. In fact, the FDA has approved the use of cannabinoids such as dronabinol in treating cancer induced nausea and vomiting.
- Acts to suppress tumor growth: Cannabidiol (CBD) is a potent anti-cancer substance as it works to slow down the rate of metastasis in the cancer cells. Metastasis is the process that is responsible for the transference and spread of one tumor to another. THC, the other active substance in marijuana also acts to work against the metastasis of cancer cells by reducing their ability to send signals to other body cells thereby suppressing cancerous migration.
- Improving appetite: With cancer comes anorexia which on the long run would lead to loss of fat and lean muscle mass as well as fatigue but with the use of medical marijuana, there is an improvement in appetite and the more food can be eaten, the less likely it is for fatigue to set in.
- Countering depression: Getting a cancer diagnosis and undergoing its treatments could be quite depressing. Marijuana helps to boost body chemicals responsible for regulating mood and by this, it helps to ease stress and depression symptoms.
Of course, medical marijuana requires professional advice and monitoring. In a medical company such as All Natural Health Certifications – Florida Marijuana Doctor with trusted professionals, getting legal access to marijuana is made easy and benefiting from all it has to make dealing with cancer better is made even easier. You are only a click away from booking an appointment with them and with all the benefits above, you should totally go for it.